CITY OF CARLISLE
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Monday, 26 September 2016, 6:30 P.M.
Carlisle City Hall Council Chamber
195 North First Street, Carlisle, Iowa
Elected Officials present were Mayor Ruth Randleman and Council Members Rob VanRyswyk, Eric Goodhue, and Drew Merrifield constituting a quorum. Absent was Dan McCulloch and Doug Hammerand. Also present were Park Superintendent Ronda Frost, Public Works Superintendent Steve O’Braza, Police Chief Eric Spring, Fire Chief Cory Glover, and Deputy Clerk Kay Black. Mayor Randleman called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Motion by Goodhue second by Van Ryswyk to approve the following consent agenda items:
- Approve Regular City Council Minutes for 12 September 2016
- Approve Class E Liquor License for Fareway Grocery Store, 1115 Bluestem Drive
- Receive and File MEAN Board of Directors, Management Committee and Ad-Hoc Committee Minutes for August 17-18, 2016
Motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
APPROVAL OF BILLS, CHANGE ORDERS AND PAY REQUESTS:
Motion by Goodhue, seconded by VanRyswyk to approve bills in the amount of $221,517.26. The statement for Great Western Bank for $100.00 was pulled from the listed bills. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Motion by Goodhue, seconded by Van Ryswyk to approve Pay Estimate #14 to Corell Contractor in amount of $286,450.36 for Scotch Ridge Nature Trail project. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Jeff Schug from McClure Engineering reported on the problem with the erosion on the trail section Fleming Pond Dam is being further investigated. He has contacted the State and the persons responsible for dam repair and will be consulting with them to find the correct way to fix the problem. He also stated that a local
Contractor may be able to do the job less expensive than the current contractor. Work would probably not start until next spring.
CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: None
OLD BUSINESS and NEW BUSINESS and POSSIBLE ACTION:
There was no motion by Council to remove from table RESOLUTION APPROVING AGEEMENT FOR ENGINEERIMG SERVICES FOR REPLACEMEMT OF 5TH STREET CULVERT.
Motion by Goodhue, seconded by Van Ryswyk to approve Road Maintenance Agreement with Polk County. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Mayor Randleman noted that the night for Beggars Night in Des Moines will remain on October 30 despite it being a Sunday evening. Council desired that Beggars Night in Carlisle remain the same night. Motion by Van Ryswyk, seconded by Goodhue to approve October 30, 2016, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Beggars Night. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
- Police-Written Report Chief Spring mentioned that the applications are slow coming in for the police officer position
- Motion to hire of Doug Richardson as PT Paramedic at Hourly Rate of $15.45 per hour was made by Goodhue, seconded by Van Ryswyk. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
- Motion to hire of Daulton Rolland as PT Paramedic at Hourly Rate of $15.45 per hour was made by Goodhue, seconded by Van Ryswyk. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
- Electric-September 26, 2016 MEAN Memo Todd Kielkopf stated that things are currently very stable at MEAN. Council Person Merrifield asked about the 25 year length of the contracts, and asked if they are changing. Todd said that some may be as short as 10 years now. Bob Stuyvesant, Attorney, asked if there was any increase in revenue because of the hot summer. Todd replied that the numbers were not in for this summer yet.
- Library-Report on 2016 Summer Reading Program. Ronda Frost, Park Superintendent, and Eric Goodhue, Councilman attended the ribbon cutting of the new “Little Library” at 1230 S 5th Street.
- Parks and Recreation
- Erosion on the Trail Section on Fleming Pond Dam was discussed earlier in the meeting.
- Work on the new South ball diamond had begun with the tree removal and still progressing.
- Public Works- Steve O’Braza, Public Works Superintendent mentioned that they had a DNR inspection on Wednesday.
- City Hall/Finance/City Administrator- None
MAYOR AND COUNCIL REPORTS
- Drew Merrifield asked if an exit interview for Brady Jackson had been done. Yes, Andy Lent, City Administrator conducted the interview.
- Eric Goodhue- Thanked Ruth Randleman, Andy Lent, and Chief Spring for volunteering for Crossing Guard Duty until a Crossing Guard could be hired.
- Rob VanRyswyk- none
- Mayor Randleman-interest in the Gateway development has been increasing.
CITY ATTORNEY REPORT: None
UPCOMING MEETINGS AND EVENTS
- Trail Ribbon Cutting Event, Carlisle Rec Center, October 4, 2016 at 4:30 PM
- DART Post-Commission Meeting Email Dated 13 September 2016
- MPO Email Update Dated 15 September 2016
ADJOURNMENT: Motion by Van Ryswyk second by Goodhue to adjourn at 7:30 p.m., carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Ruth Randleman, Mayor
Kay Black, Deputy Clerk