CITY OF CARLISLE
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Monday, 10 October 2016, 6:30 P.M.
Carlisle City Hall Council Chamber
195 North First Street, Carlisle, Iowa
Elected Officials present were Mayor Ruth Randleman and Council Members Rob VanRyswyk, Eric Goodhue, Dan McCulloch, and Drew Merrifield constituting a quorum. Absent was Doug Hammerand. Also present were City administrator Andy Lent, Park Superintendent Ronda Frost, Public Works Superintendent Steve O’Braza, Police Chief Eric Spring, Electric Superintendent Don Miller, Library Director Stacy Goodhue, and Deputy Clerk Kay Black. Mayor Randleman called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Motion by Goodhue second by Merrifield to APPROVE THE FOLLOWING CONSENT ITEMS:
- Approve Regular City Council Minutes for 26 September 2016
- Receive and File Board of Adjustment Minutes for 5 October 2016
Motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
APPROVAL OF BILLS, CHANGE ORDERS AND PAY REQUESTS:
Motion by McCulloch, seconded by VanRyswyk to approve bills in the amount of $69,748.55. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Motion by VanRyswyk, seconded by Goodhue to approve Pay Estimate #5 for Carlisle Fire Station Addition Project to Ball Team, Inc. for $102,331.15. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: None
OLD BUSINESS and NEW BUSINESS and POSSIBLE ACTION:
Debbie Dean from Benefit Source presented information to the Carlisle City Council concerning the renewal of the health insurance program for fulltime employees. This will be a 13-month renewal in order to have a plan that the City can keep for another year. If the City Council takes no action, the increase is an average of 6.9 percent. She is recommending to raise the deductible levels, but to partial self-fund down to the current deductible levels that the employees have. This will result in $31,000 savings in premium.
Motion by Goodhue, second by McCulloch to go with the recommendation to move to the plan with the higher deductibles. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
Motion by Van Ryswyk, seconded by McCulloch to remove from table RESOLUTION APPROVING AGREEMENT FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES FOR REPLACEMENT OF 5TH STREET CULVERT. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Motion by Goodhue, second by McCulloch to issue an RFP for the 5th Street culvert replacement project. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote. RESOLUTION APPROVING AGREEMENT FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES FOR REPLACEMENT OF 5TH STREET CULVERT. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
McCulloch removed his motion. Goodhue amended his motion to submit an RFQ. Merrifield seconded the motion. Motion failed on Ayes from Goodhue and Merrifield and Nays from McCulloch and Van Ryswyk.
Motion by Goodhue, seconded by Merrifield to table RESOLUTION APPROVING AGREEMENT FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES FOR REPLACEMENT OF 5TH STREET CULVERT. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
- Police- COPS grant
- Fire/Rescue-No report
- Electric-Written report. Discussion took place on hiring a third lineman. City will post notice and see if there will be anyone interested.
- Library-Leaving for the Iowa Library Association Conference tomorrow. Statistics are down, and feels that the construction at the fire department and being down for remodeling last year may have affected the statistics.
- Parks and Recreation- Someone from Roberts will be at the Recreation Building tomorrow to look at the sink drains.
- Public Works-Company in town to exercise twenty percent of the valves. IDNR was in town to do the water treatment inspection. Some of the broken concrete is being used to line the lagoons. A couple of employees attended safety training this past week.
- City Hall/Finance/City Administrator-Audit is done. Progress being done on utility billing training.
MAYOR AND COUNCIL REPORTS
- Drew Merrifield-Would like to request more explanation in memo on project funding.
- Eric Goodhue-Good cemetery walk took place this past weekend.
- Dan McCulloch-Travel to South Carolina this past weekend and experienced some severe weather.
- Rob VanRyswyk-No report.
- Mayor Randleman- Would like to have December 5, 2016 as the date for a workshop on DART.
CITY ATTORNEY REPORT: No report.
UPCOMING MEETINGS AND EVENTS
- DOJ Ruling on Mobility Devices for Disabled on Trails
- O’Reilly Auto Parts Grand Opening Flyer
CALL FOR ACTION – there was none.
Motion by Goodhue, seconded by Merrifield to move into exempt session at 8:00 p.m. in accordance with Code of Iowa Section 20.17(3) when discussing union negotiations. Motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
ADJOURNMENT: Motion by Goodhue second by Van Ryswyk to adjourn at 8:25 p.m., carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Ruth Randleman, Mayor
Kay Black, Deputy Clerk