At the February 11, 2019 City Council Meeting, Carlisle City Council was presented with several options on how to address report findings regarding subgrade issues on Veterans Memorial Drive. Fox Engineering reviewed a report submitted by Thiele Geotech regarding the issues. At the Council Meeting, a representative from Fox Engineering presented their report. This included areas of cracked pavement in the area in question. It also included three (3) options for repair and replacement of certain sections of Veteran’s Memorial Drive. A copy of the presentation documents presented by Fox Engineering can be seen by clicking here.
Options for Veterans Memorial Drive include two that would rebuild the road and one that would patch visibly troubled areas.
- Option #1 would include sub-base work and full rebuild of the highlighted area including curb and gutter.
- Estimated cost – $535,000
- Option #2 would include sub-base work and partial rebuild of the highlighted area excluding curb and gutter except for certain locations where there are visible issues with the curb.
- Estimated cost – $485,000
- Option #3 would include some sub-base work and replacing broken portions of the pavement.
- Estimated cost – $295,000
Additionally, to address ongoing concerns regarding access to the area in flood events and facilitate proper construction for Option #1 and Option #2 of Veterans Memorial Drive, two options were presented regarding possible improvements connecting Irwin Drive to Patterson Drive.
- Option #1 would include extending Irwin Drive’s curb and gutter and create an intersection at Patterson Drive. It would also include extension of city utilities for future use.
- Estimated cost – $365,000
- Option #2 would include creating a gravel access road. Adding gates to block the road was also discussed. If gates were added, they would be opened to provide access to the area during the Veteran’s Memorial Drive reconstruction, flood events affecting access to Veterans Memorial Drive, and other possible emergency situations.
- Estimated cost – $73,000
During the presentation, Council briefly discussed possible funding options. One option discussed was assessment of certain costs to homeowners. This process was done on previous city projects including Phase 1 of the School Street Project. At the time of this post, funding and the possibility of assessments is under discussion by Council and no decision has been made.
Carlisle City Council is requesting feedback on these possible options. Comments and questions can be submitted to councilmembers or to City Administrator Deven Markley. He can be reached by:
- Visiting Carlisle City Hall during business hours at 195 N. 1st Street
- Call Carlisle City Hall at 515-989-3224 and ask for Deven
- Email comments to email@example.com
The City Council also encourages you to provide comments during regular City Council Meetings held at 6:30 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month at Carlisle City Hall. Agendas for the meetings are posted on the city’s website prior to the meeting.