August 18, 2020
We have been diligently at work over the last several months preparing for our City Hall Renovation Project. City Council is in the process of approving final construction plans and getting bids from contractors on the project. With construction work close to starting, I want to provide an update to the community regarding some logistics and changes you may see in the area surrounding the building.
- Generally, we want the community to be aware that there will be increased construction traffic in and around the area, so please be cautious when in and around the area.
- We will be closing the parking lot downtown at the corner of School Street and N. 1st This closure will start near the end of this week and extend through construction.
- The project includes some utility improvements and construction on the building being done in the area to the west of the building. This will cause the drive next to the green space to be closed as construction begins. We have notified affected businesses and are working with them on addressing certain concerns they have. This may include temporary rerouting of delivery trucks.
- There may be times where there is temporary no parking along sections of N. 1st Street during the project to allow dumpsters and materials to temporarily be placed in the parking area. City staff will be placing signage for those out in advance of any closure in those areas.
- The project includes external improvements to both sides of the building that face the streets. We will be working with the contractor to ensure that this work is done in a way that keeps pedestrians and vehicles in the area safe.
We always want you to make the effort to support our local businesses. While doing so during construction, you might have the following question: “With the parking lot closed, where can I park?” The City of Carlisle owns several parking lots in the downtown area highlighted in green on the attached map. We would encourage you to utilize any vacant spots in those lots. You can also utilize any street parking spots downtown.
For the most up-to-date information on closures, construction changes, and project updates, we encourage you to sign up for CivicReady, our mass notification system. Please go to the following website to sign up: carlisle-ia.regroup.com/signup
We appreciate your understanding surrounding these temporary inconveniences as we move forward with this exciting project for our community.
Deven Markley, City Administrator
Downtown Parking Changes Map