Title: School Crossing Guard FLSA: Non-Exempt
Date: 08/03/16 Reports To: Chief of Police
Pay Scale: $10.50 to $12.00 per/hour Deadline: Open Until Filled
Provide the safe movement of children to and from school when crossing public roadways and intersections. School crossing guards are not to engage in traffic direction or control.
This position is expected to work when the Carlisle Community School District is in session. School sessions are typically August through June, however year round positions may be needed based on the individual school. The work hours are in the morning and afternoon, Monday through Friday, at an assigned intersection for approximately one (1) hour. The hours are typically from 7:30 AM- 8:15 AM and 2:45 PM- 3:45 PM. Hours will vary on late start/early outs.
Routine Job Duties/Responsibilities
- Assists children on their way to and from school to safely cross roadways and intersections and observe gaps in traffic, utilizing traffic signals.
- Lead children across roadways or intersections while holding a “stop” sign and wearing a colored traffic vest in such a manner as to be visible to approaching vehicles.
- Assures that the City’s mission, goals and objectives are fully supported and initiated.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge is qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- The ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with children, parents, police officers and the general public.
- Must have good judgement and reasoning ability to avoid subjecting children to dangerous traffic conditions.
- Ability to provide own transportation to/from crossing location assigned to.
- Valid Iowa I.D.
- Works is preformed outdoors and is subject to constant standing, walking, inclement weather conditions and traffic hazards.
- Ability to lift, carry, push and pull 15 lbs.
- Must be able to see and hear sufficiently to identify safety hazards.
- Must have reasonable stamina to observe traffic and escort children across streets.
- Must pass a post offer pre-employment physical, criminal background check and drug test as deemed necessary by the Carlisle Police Department.
- Traffic hazards
- Inclement weatherNote: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.